The History of Barnardsville School
A Community School since the 1900’s
Adapted from information provided by Alma Shuford
In the early 1900's, Barnardsville families were becoming increasingly interested in quality education and they rallied for a high school. With the promise of much support, Barnardsville’s first high school opened in 1906 on a hill overlooking the community (present day location is just above the intersection of Dillingham Road and North Fork Road).
The Barnardsville School first opened its doors in 1927 and consisted of the three level brick building. This campus served students in high school.
In 1954, the high school grades moved to North Buncombe High School and the current building received an addition (the two level building housing most classrooms). This campus served elementary students in Kindergarten through 8th grade. In 1987, grades six through eight moved to North Buncombe Middle School leaving Kindergarten through 5th grade at Barnardsville Elementary. The school ran strong until 1990.
Although it was a difficult decision to make, Barnardsville Elementary School closed its doors that year to consolidate with Red Oak, Flat Creek, and French Broad to make the new North Buncombe Elementary. However, because of a growing and supportive community, Barnardsville Elementary School reopened in 1994, serving students from Kindergarten through 5th grade.
In 2002, the new intermediate school, North Windy Ridge, was built. Fifth grade students left Barnardsville Elementary to attend this district fifth and sixth grade school. Since that time, Barnardsville Elementary has served students in Kindergarten through 4th grade.
The school currently serves over 100 students from Kindergarten through 4th grade. The Barnardsville Ivy Hawks are proud of their heritage and look forward to the future. Visitors to our school campus may view the Memory tiles that decorate our hallways and pay tribute to many of the students, staff, parents and community members who have loved and supported this small rural school. In addition, a display cabinet of trophies is housed at the school. Some of these trophies date back to the 1950’s when the school served high school students. The school building stands as a symbol of the strength and pride of this community. The school staff welcomes community volunteers and support to keep the sense of pride, community ties and value placed on children receiving a quality education thriving in this area.